Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Angels, Electroconvulsive Therapy and Everything in Between


It's been 11.5-ish years since that last entry. 

Life has been a whirlwind as well as a long stretch on a spiritual lawn chair in the sand.  Angels and electroconvulsive therapy didn't have much between them actually, since I told the psychiatry team about the brightly colored angel wings I see on so many people and they prolonged my course of getting zapped because of it.

So very much has happened; my infant Amelie is a half a year out from being a teenager and just wrote a trombone solo for her band's trip to perform at a jazz festival in New Orleans.  I made second human, named her Hazel, and at 9 years old he renamed himself Steve and stopped wearing pink and purple.  Both kids are spitfire brilliant and deeply creative which is tons of fun to parent.

Brian has turned into a marathon runner, and he absolutely loves it.  Our house has become a repository for as many race medals and bibs as there are Harry Potter books (65 countries for lifetime travel destinations, check them out here: www.TakingHarryHome.com.   I've gone to 12 countries bringing Harry Potter books back to where they were bought for me, and had adventures from dog sledding in Alaska to riding a camel in the deserts of northern Senegal.


Far and away my biggest adventure has been getting clean.  I used marijuana daily for 20 years and when COVID hit my habit got out of control.  Finding my homies in a 12-step group was so healing that my life pretty much blossomed again.  My daily involuntary suicidal ideation stopped which has been a massive blessing, and I got a tattoo of my clean date, my personal sign for spirituality and what everyone kept saying to help me get clean -- which is now what I say to my higher power, whose name is Zorla.  She is the love that composes molecules, of which we are composed, and which we compose in turn.


Altogether, life is very good, and I am both very surprised and very happy to still be alive.  Thanks for sticking with me for the adventure.







No comments: